RMU sports weekend roundups: 1/23-1/24

Ian Kist, Staff Reporter

Men’s Hockey: 1/23

RMU 4, Holy Cross 3: Senior captain Cody Wydo kept his impressive goal scoring going as he totaled two goals in the second period, his 15th and 16th of the season in the RMU victory Friday night in Worcester, Massachusetts. Brady Ferguson however, got the Colonials on the scoreboard with his 10th and 11th tallies of the season in the first period of play. Both Daniel Leavens and Zac Lynch finished with two assists each. Goaltender Dalton Izyk turned away 34 shots.

Women’s Basketball: 1/24

RMU 69, St. Francis Brooklyn 64: The Colonials improved their NEC record to 5-2 at the Pope Physical Education Center in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y. with terrific play from sophomore Anna Niki Stamolamprou, who scored 22 points and brought in five defensive rebounds. RMU also got help scoring from junior Ashley Ravalli who scored double-digit points as she finished with 14 total. Sophomore Judith Sole provided the Colonials with eight total rebounds. The Colonials shot 46.2 percent from the field, making 24 of 52 attempted shots.

Men’s hockey 1/24

RMU 2, Holy Cross 1: The Colonials finished the weekend sweep against Holy Cross Saturday afternoon with a close 2-1 victory. The win was RMU’s fourth straight. Junior Zac Lynch scored the Colonials’ first goal and RMU received the winning goal in the third period when senior Scott Jacklin found the back of the net, beating Holy Cross goalie Paul Berrafato. RMU goaltender Terry Shaffer faced 38 shots, but only let one in the back of the net.