Softball roundup

RMU fell to the hands of the Spartans Sunday in their final game of the weekend in the Sunshine State.

Ian Kist, Staff Reporter

Mar. 25

Penn State 2 (14-15), RMU 0 (12-12): Wednesday evening in University Park, Pennsylvania, the Colonials dropped a 2-0 game to in state opponent, the Nittany Lions of Penn State. PSU grabbed an early two-run lead on the Colonials in their half of the first inning and that was all they needed. Neither PSU nor RMU scored a run after the first inning. Robert Morris received two hits in the game from sophomore Stacey Capp and junior Kristen Gabelt. Senior pitcher Nicole Sleith (9-8) was in the circle for the Colonials as she gave up two first inning un-earned runs while striking out 11 Penn State batters and did not give up a single free pass.

March 25, 2015

Penn State 9 (15-15), RMU 1 (12-13): In their second game in University Park, Pennsylvania Wednesday night, the Colonials lost 9-1 to Penn State. Penn State scored all the runs they would need in the second inning as they saw four players cross home plate. The Colonials however, did receive seven hits throughout the game as Kristen Gabelt led RMU with two hits, which gave her seven multi-hit games on the season. In the top of the fifth inning, Sophomore Jordan Gurganus brought home teammate Alexis Schwartzmiller who was on second base after she led off Colonials top of the fifth inning with a single. Junior Haileigh Stocks, Robert Morris’s starting pitcher in game 2, moved to 3-4 on the 2015 campaign giving up nine runs over 5.2 innings pitched.