The news site of Robert Morris University

RMU Sentry Media

RMU Sentry Media

RMU Sentry Media

RMU student Marco Giovengo passes away in Lexington apartment

RMU student Marco Giovengo, senior,  passed away this evening in his room in Lexington Hall, according to an email from RMU President Gregory Dell’Omo. Several of Giovengo’s Phi Sigma Kappa brothers also confirmed that he had passed away.

An ambulance and several RMU police vehicles arrived in front of Lexington around 6:45 p.m. Crowds of students gathered outside in front of Salem and Marshall Hall.

In addition to the EMT and RMU police, ResLife assistant director Anne Lahoda, Center for Student Success counselor Randon Willard, Dean John Michalenko and even President Dell’Omo were on the scene.

At this point, the cause of death has not been released.

Giovengo lived with muscular dystrophy and other medical difficulties, but was still one of RMU’s most active members. He was a drummer for RMU’s marching and pep band, a member of the Homecoming court this fall and, as mentioned before, a brother of the Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity on campus.

He was pursuing a degree in sports management and was expected to graduate at commencement this May.

RMU counselors are available for anyone who is in need of someone to talk to at this time. They can be reached at the Center of Student Success at 412-397-4346.

Details of funeral arrangements and a campus memorial will be released as they become available, according to the email.