In the wake of numerous cancellations across campus due to the impending impact of Hurricane Sandy, the Office of Residence Life emailed students concerning important preparations.
The Office of Student Life will remain open until midnight tonight with professional staff members and resident assistance on staff throughout the evening. All residence halls will remain open.
However, shuttle service to and from Braddock and Yorktown Hall will stop at 8 p.m. Monday and resume at 10 a.m. on Tuesday. The Office of Residence Life has encouraged students that live in those halls to make arrangements be back in their halls by 8 p.m.
The entire email sent out to students can be read below.
Dear Resident Students,
While responding to the potential effects of Hurricane Sandy in our region, the safety of our students is our number one concern. As you were made aware in the RMU Alert announcement earlier this afternoon, classes have been cancelled starting at 3:45 p.m. today though 12:15 p.m. tomorrow. The purpose of this email is to provide our resident students with important information.
1. For those students whose families live locally, if it is safe for you to drive home or be picked up from campus, we encourage you to go home and spend the evening with your family.
2. The Office of Residence Life in Washington Hall will remain open until midnight tonight, and professional staff members and resident assistants will be on staff throughout the evening. All residence halls will remain open. If you need to reach a residence life staff member, please call 412-397-5252 or 412-397-5242.
3. Shuttle service to Yorktown and Braddock Halls will stop at 8:00 p.m. tonight and will resume at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. If you need to use the shuttles to return back to your building and room, please make plans to return to Yorktown or Braddock prior to 8:00 p.m.
4. Food service in the Nicholson Center and at Yorktown Hall will continue normal operations.
5. In preparation for potential power outages, we encourage you to charge any electronics (cell phones, computers, etc.) so they are fully charged throughout the evening.
6. RMU’s University Police are available throughout the evening. In case of emergency, you may reach them at 412-397-2424. Additionally, our Maintenance and Facilities Department will remain open throughout the evening to monitor conditions on campus. The Operations Center will be able to take your calls at 412-397-4343.
7. There is the possibility of high winds and heavy rain throughout the night. We ask that all students remain indoors for the evening. All evening activities, club sports, intramurals, and organization programs are cancelled for this evening.
8. We will provide additional communication as necessary and if conditions on campus change. Please continue to monitor the RMU website for updates.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 412-397-5252.
The Office of Residence Life