RMU applies for extension on existing liquor license

Ed Albert - Producer

Since the posting of a bright orange sign for a liquor license at the front entrance of Robert Morris University, many have speculated what this means for student events, particularly RMU football games. However, RMU Chief Budget and Planning Officer Beth Ryan states RMU is already in possession of a current liquor license for specific locations on campus.

“RMU’s liquor license is used during events that are held at various locations on campus for internal and external customers, not used for student events,” clarified Ryan.

Therefore, the sign posted in the front is not for a liquor license in itself, but for an extension of the already existing license. The liquor license extension is currently in the approval process with the Liquor Control Board.

Every establishment looking to obtain a liquor license must go through an application process and then be approved by the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

According to the Pennsylvania Liquor License Company, liquor licenses for each county are based upon what they call a quota system.

In other words, as stated on the Pennsylvania Liquor License Company’s Web page, “Based upon statistics gathered in the 10 year census, one retail liquor license is available for every 3,000 inhabitants of a county.”

Moon Township, not including the population of Robert Morris University, is well over the quota of 3,000 inhabitants, so obtaining the original liquor license was most likely not an issue at all.

However, the process is a little different when only extending a license rather than applying for a new one altogether.

The Pennsylvania Code states, “The additional premises for which it is desired to extend a license shall be completely equipped for the carrying on of the type of business permitted under the license, but no sales of liquor or malt or brewed beverages, storage or similar activity may take place in the additional premises until approval has been given by the Board.”

Robert Morris must have the proper storage and distribution facility for liquor or the approval for the extension of the license will not be granted. Should the university need to construct a place for this all to take place, then it must be included within the original written request.

Thus, students will not be affected by the liquor license or the extension of it. It will be used for events and functions that take place at Robert Morris University, such as faculty dinners, seminars, etc.