Robert Morris triumphs over Northern Kentucky, 2-1

Joseph Garis, Staff Reporter

Just two days removed from a close loss to IPFW, the Robert Morris Colonials took the field with rain falling all around, facing another tough opponent in the form of the Northern Kentucky Norse. The Colonials slid through unscathed, and emerged from the field victorious, clinching a 2-1 win, making them 4-7 on the season as they move into conference play, already matching their win total from last season.

Despite playing without multiple players, the Colonials have managed to reach conference play with momentum behind them, and this win only adds to it. The game began at 1 p.m., and the field had already suffered from hours of rain falling on it. “You know, I thought it would have been a bigger effect, but I don’t think it really played that much of a difference. The field held up really well,” said head coach John Kowalski.

Although no puddles did accumulate, the field was slick, and it took a couple possessions to really get a firm grasp on the field. Once the Colonials did, they attacked with a vengeance. Robert Morris had taken eight shots on goal over the course of 30 minutes before the Norse were even able to get their first attempt in on goal.

By then they were already down 1-0 due to a score by Cassie Raymond in the 23rd minute of play. The Norse didn’t register many shots until the final minutes of the first period, still outnumbered 9-4 in shots taken by the Colonials.

The second period began very differently for the Colonials, who came out in a much more defensive formation, attempting to win the game by preventing the Norse from scoring at all. That was effective until there was a little under 15 minutes left in regulation, when Northern Kentucky’s Aubrey Muench scored the tying goal.

That was short lived, though, when Colonials’ Lauren Pietrowski, who normal plays a defensive position, was moved to left-wing. Less then four minutes after the Norse had tied the game up, she delivered what would be the game winning goal.

“It felt awesome,” said Pietrowski on her game-clinching goal. “I have been playing defense for two years, but I came in playing offense. It was a big change and kind of a surprise when coach is like left-wing. But we worked hard the full game, so I wanted to come out and do my best for the team. Luckily, I got that goal.”

Luckily indeed, as that goal was the nail in the coffin for the Norse, who failed to score again in the remaining twelve minutes of regulation. When the buzzer finally sounded, the Colonials left the field triumphant, and ready to take on the rest of the Northeast Conference.

This game was more than just a warm-up before conference play, though. Pietrowski touched on this when she talked about the importance of the momentum this game provided. “I think we definitely needed this win, just to give everyone the confidence.” She continued, “We know we can do it, it is just a matter of stepping out on the field and playing our game each day.”

The Colonials travel to Staten Island this Friday to see if they can continue to play their game against Wagner in their first conference game of the season. That game will start at 6 p.m.