Hockey Roadie: CHMA Playoffs Day 1

Audrey Gardner, Staff Writer

The last road trip of the 2016 season came to conclusion Sunday evening. Despite the loss of the CHMA Championship title the ACHA DI hockey team made the most of their time together.

The trip started Saturday afternoon, as the team boarded their bus under the watchful eye of Cam Zappi. With snacks and juice provided the squad hit road, with Karen at the wheel.

The short ride to didn’t stop any of the players from getting into typical bus behavior. After many “are we there yet” the bus came to a stop in front of the hotel in Beachwood, Ohio. Head Coach Mike Joseph and assistant Conrad Waite arrived just in time to join Zappi for check in.

Too much disappointment the hotel only had five of the rooms ready to go. The few rooms that were ready were assigned and the rest of the group waited. Rookies Jordan Gayso, Ben Kelkis and Nick Mummau got the only three-person assignment, others were four.

While the team waited, many opted for free coffee or used the time to call friends or family. Dinner arrived about 3:45 and consisting of chicken parmesan, pasta, salad, rolls, and cookies. Conversation continued to be lively and humourist. Alex Rowland even took the remaining cookies, we could easily write a book on his quotes this season.

A short break followed dinner before the squad traveled to Gilmour Arena. Upon arrival team managers, Liam Herron and James Gabriel took charge of setting up shop. Once everything was in place the gang jumped right into game prep.

A game of sewer ball quickly formed, others set to work taping sticks or exercising, and some watch the game going on in front of them.

IUP stuck first, but Rowland would tie it up heading into the first period. The second period was filled with penalties for both teams. Brett Berner would score shorthanded and Justin Rehrer would tally a powerplay goal. Put the Colonials up two goals before IUP struck again making it 3-2 after the middle frame.

In the third, Zach Homitz found his first goal of the season, but IUP would tie it forcing overtime.

With 5:36 left in the first overtime, Chris Howland would seal the deal, and put RMU into round two Sunday.

Colonial hat in hand, Howland and the team boarded the bus to return to the hotel.

After pizza, donuts and a filling a cooler with ice and Gatorade via a cardboard box, thanks to Joe Boyer. The Colonials headed to bed with thoughts of reclaiming their championship title.