Women’s soccer earns second straight result in draw with IUPUI


Grayden Jackson

Allie Ball rushes up field.

Tyler Gallo

MOON TOWNSHIP– On a brisk October afternoon and following their first Horizon League victory of the season on Thursday, women’s soccer aimed to keep the good times rolling against IUPUI on Sunday. IUPUI sat just two points ahead of RMU heading into the day.

The team held Open Field Day in partnership with Open Field, a Pittsburgh-based nonprofit organization that uses the game of soccer to promote life skills, leadership, girls’ empowerment, and social cohesion. Members of the organization played a game during halftime of the match.

Despite heavy offensive pressure throughout and several great chances, RMU (5-9-3, 1-5-3 Horizon) and IUPUI (3-10-3, 2-5-2) played to a 0-0 draw, the Colonials’ second-straight result in Horizon League play.

Head coach Chris Shaw had nothing but praise for his team, noting that they fought for all 110 minutes of the match.

“I think that was our best performance, we always talk about putting together a full 90-minute performance, and today was 110 minutes of quality soccer,” Shaw said. “We worked from start to finish. It was some of the best soccer we played, we had a few chances to win it in each overtime. I’m pleased with the result.”

Robert Morris controlled much of the first five minutes of the match and produced the first offensive chance at 5′. Allie Ball drilled the ball forward to an open Gabriella Lecuona, who got a shot on goal that was eaten up by Jaguars’ goalkeeper AP Woodall.

The Colonials continued their offensive pressure for the next ten minutes, generating a pair of shots that were both turned aside by Woodall.

Lecuona had another prime chance at 31′, sending an arcing missile towards the net that just went over the crossbar. Kaoru Hayashi followed with a similar opportunity off a free kick at 34′ that went to the same location.

Robert Morris made another offensive stand towards the end of the half but still couldn’t break the ice as the teams headed to their locker rooms scoreless.

The momentum for Robert Morris continued into the second half, picking up shots on goal at 56′ and 61′, respectively. They received consecutive corner kicks after the second shot but could not convert.

IUPUI had their best chance at 68′ when a header by Jessica Jacobs nearly went over the outstretched arms of Isabella Bohlen, just getting a piece of the shot which caromed off the crossbar and led to a clear by RMU.

The next-best chance came at 83′ when Chelsea Kingston fought towards the box and got a shot off that nearly broke the scoreless tie, but was tipped by Woodall. The ensuing corner generated another save for the goalkeeper.

Another scoreless half brought the second-straight overtime affair for both teams.

RMU’s first shot of overtime was the closest they came to breaking the tie. Emily Rocco served a beautiful cross to Sheridan Reid at 95′, but Woodall made a tremendous stop to keep the game tied, and with no other shots for either side, the teams headed to double overtime.

Sheridan Reid had another chance at 102′ to ice the game and much like the rest of the chances the team had, hit the crossbar and went behind the net.

The teams fought for the rest of the period but neither found the net, closing the game with a scoreless draw.

Gabriella Lecuona led the team with four total shots and three on goal. She talked about how the team has picked up their play of late.

“It’s the end of the season and we only have two games left,” Lecuona said. “We felt like once we got that win at Wright State, we were going to keep it going for the rest of the season.”

RMU will head to Cleveland for their last road game next Saturday and host Youngstown State for their home finale on the 27th.